Chennai custodial death: CM Stalin assures fair probe, announces compensation – Times of India

Chennai News

CHENNAI: Tamil Nadu chief minister M K Stalin said his government has been taking all steps, under the provisions of law, to ensure a fair and thorough probe into the death of V Vignesh in police custody in Chennai.
Announcing compensation of Rs 10 lakh to Vignesh’s family, the CM said the government would bear the expenses of the treatment provided to Suresh, who was arrested along with Vignesh by the Secretariat Colony police on April 18 for possession of ganja.
Addressing the state assembly on Tuesday, the CM said the DMK, whether in governance or not, was firm that deaths in police custody and human rights violations should be probed and appropriate action taken against those responsible. The DMK government was firm in its resolve to get justice (for the victim), the CM said.
He was responding to a special call attention motion moved by the opposition AIADMK besides the Congress, VCK, PMK and other parties.
Demanding that the government hand over the case to CBI, opposition leader Edappadi K Palaniswami said Vignesh’s brother had alleged that the police gave money to his family to hush up his death. “It creates doubts about the manner of his death,” said EPS.
He urged the government to give Rs 50 lakh as compensation to his family and a government job to a relative. MMK leader M H Jawahirullah said the government should install CCTV cameras in all police stations.
Narrating the sequence of events, beginning with the arrest of Vignesh and Suresh on April 18 night, the CM said police found ganja and liquor bottles in the autorickshaw in which they were travelling during a vehicle check at Kellys in the city.
Vignesh refused to go with the police and tried to attack them with a knife that he had kept hidden, the CM said. A case was registered against the duo for possession of contraband.
The following day, April 19, the police provided them breakfast in the station. Vignesh vomited and suffered a seizure. He was taken to a nearby private hospital after which he was referred to the Kilpauk Medical College Hospital, where doctors declared him ‘brought dead’, said the CM.