IIT Madras is offering a 12 week free online course called Introduction to Machine Learning for undergraduate and postgraduate students
IIT Madras has invited applications for a free online course on machine learning that covers the basic concepts of machine learning from a mathematical perspective. The course aims at equipping students with the knowledge to make sense of the increased availability of data from varied sources with the aid of machine learning and data analytics. The course will be conducted from 23 January 2023 to 14 April 2023.
The course will be conducted by professor Balaraman Ravindran who is currently associated with the Computer Science Department at IIT Madras and is also a Mindtree Faculty Fellow. The professor has nearly two decades of research experience in machine learning and specifically reinforcement learning, and his research interests are centered on learning from and through interactions and span the areas of data mining, social network analysis, and reinforcement learning.
What the IIT Madras Free Online Course on Machine Learning Will Cover?
The course basically aims at covering the different machine learning paradigms and some of the more popular algorithms and architectures used in each of these paradigms.
A list of topics that will be covered are as follows:
- Probability theory, linear algebra, and convex optimization.
- Linear regression, multivariate regression, subset selection, shrinkage methods, principal component regression, and partial least squares.
- Linear classification, logistic regression, and linear discriminant analysis.
- Learning theory, introduction to reinforcement learning, and optional videos.
- Neural networks, Statistical Decision Theory, and Gaussian Mixture Models among other topics.
Who Can Take the IIT Madras Free Online Course on Machine Learning?
The course would be most suited for undergraduate and postgraduate students with knowledge about programming, probability theory and linear algebra. Students pursuing their degrees in the following subjects would be benefited from the course:
- Computer science engineering.
- Artificial intelligence.
- Data science.
Those who wish to know more about the course are advised to go through the official website for more information.