Chennai custodial death converted to murder case, says CM MK Stalin – Times of India

Chennai News

CHENNAI: Chief minister M K Stalin on Friday said the government has registered the death of V Vignesh as a case of murder and directed the CB-CID to frame murder charges against police personnel involved and continue the probe. Vignesh had died in police custody on April 19 after he was caught carrying ganja.
Replying to a special calling attention moved by leader of the opposition Edappadi K Palaniswami, Stalin said, “The autopsy report, as noted by the leader of the opposition, states that there are 13 injuries on the body. Based on this, the case has been altered to murder and CB-CID has been asked to frame charges of murder against the police personnel and continue the probe.” The Secretariat Colony police arrested the 25-year-old during a vehicular check for possessing drugs and Vignesh died the following day.
AIADMK members walked out of the assembly in protest after Stalin refused to accept their demand for a CBI probe.
Had told House govt was taking action, says Stalin
The chief minister recalled his earlier statement made on the floor of the House that a case of “suspicious death” was registered. The autopsy of Vignesh was done in the presence of a magistrate on April 20 and it was fully video-graphed before the body was handed over to the relatives.
Three policemen of Secretariat Colony police station, including sub-inspector Perumal, were suspended and the DGP had transferred the case to CB-CID on April 24. “I have informed (the House) already that the government is taking all legal action in connection with Vignesh’s death,” Stalin told the assembly.
Earlier, Palaniswami alleged that the autopsy report was contradictory to the CM’s statement made earlier in assembly and demanded a CBI probe. The chief minister had earlier stated that Vignesh had developed seizures and started vomiting after having breakfast (in police custody) on April 19. He was taken to a private hospital nearby and later to the Kilpauk government hospital. Doctors, however, pronounced him dead on arrival.
“The death has raised suspicion. It should be registered as a case of murder, transferred to CBI for fair probe and action taken against the policemen concerned,” the former CM said.